Brand Licensing Europe 2015 Media Fact Sheet
The UK licensing business in 2014 was worth an estimated $13bn (£8bn) in retail sales. This makes the UK the third biggest market for licensed goods in the world after USA and Japan.
In the UK there are some 500 established licensors / licensing agents offering IP rights.
- More than 1000 UK consumer goods companies are regularly involved in acquiring IP rights for their products.
Source: LIMA UK Licensing Fact Sheet (published 7 October 2014) www.licensing.org
Brand Licensing was launched in 1999 as a small hotel-based event.
Now in its 17th year, it is the only pan-European event dedicated to licensing and brand extension, and takes place from 13 – 15th October at Olympia in London.
- Brand Licensing was re-branded as Brand Licensing Europe (BLE) in 2007 to reflect the international nature of its exhibitors, properties and visitors. The show expanded to three days in 2010, reflecting the demand from the growing number of visitors and exhibitors.
- Brand Licensing Europe is organised by UBM Advanstar, the leading worldwide media company. Its events include Brand Licensing Europe and Licensing Expo: all leading events in their markets.
BLE’s floorplan is divided into three distinct zones to help visitors easily navigate the event and reflect the growing industry:
- Art, Design & Image
- Brands & Lifestyle
- Character & Entertainment
- In 2014, over 7,000 retailers, licensees, manufacturers and sales promotion professionals attended Brand Licensing Europe from 69 countries. Retail buyers increased by 28% on the previous year, with those in attendance from Amazon, Asda, Auchan, Boots, Carrefour, Debenhams, Harrods, Morrisons, Mothercare, Marks & Spencer, John Lewis, Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Toys’R’Us.
- Attendance is independently audited by the BPA.
- Companies from all over the world exhibit representing film, TV, entertainment, sports, automotive, publishing, art & design, fashion charity and heritage licensing categories.
- Over 300 exhibitors display more than 2,500 new and innovative brands available for licensing opportunities, including characters, brands, images, artwork and designs. Examples include: Arsenal Football Club, Battersea Dogs & Cats Home, Bob the Builder, Coca Cola, Dora the Explorer, Firetrap, Harley Davidson, Land Rover, Major League Baseball, Moto GP, Natural History Museum, NBA League, Peppa Pig, Slazenger and Science Museum.
Licensing Academy –free to attend educational sessions, with keynote addresses from high profile speakers which have included Mojang, Team GB, Angry Birds, Lucas Licensing and Moshi Monsters.
Brands & Lifestyle Theatre – launched in 2014, offering sessions tailored specifically to the business of licensing brands.
Screening Suite – purpose built cinema allowing attendees to enjoy advanced previews of some of the hottest blockbusters to hit screens (sessions are by invitation only).
Advice Centre – providing visitors with a single destination for practical advice and consultations. Industry professionals are on hand to give legal, financial and general contractual advice.
The Global Partner Programme - launched in 2009 to reward companies who exhibit at both Brand Licensing Europe and Licensing Expo. Global Partners are supported with up to 12 months of free publicity and networking opportunities.
- License This! competition final - now in its sixth year the competition offers those with brand new creative concepts the opportunity to break into the global licensing industry. Finalists are judged on the last day of the show by a panel of leading experts in front of a live audience, all vying for the chance to win a stand at the following year’s show.
The Retail Mentoring Programme - now in its sixth year, the Retail Mentoring Programme is a unique initiative, funded and organised by UBM Advanstar with the aim to help retail professionals gain a wider understanding of the licensing business. Nominated retailers shadow licensors, take part in workshops and seminars, including the LIMA Licensing Essentials Course and Spring Fling in May in partnership with LIMA UK, culminating with a visit to BLE in October. In 2014 over 53 buying professionals took part, a 60% increase on the previous year.
For more information please visit www.brandlicensing.eu or follow us on Twitter using @bleurope for the latest show news.